Natural Ways How to Quit Smoking. 21 Tip on Making Quitting Easier
Then you reduce your smokes or quitting totally, it is important to fill that empty space that cigarette takes in your life with a substitute. If you leave this empty place and face your cravings barehanded, your days are pretty much numbered. Plan your actions, make a list of your tools. Replan if needed.
People prefer nicotine substitutes to make their way through easier. I am not a fan of such method. Industry sales the idea that plaster or spray is like a magic pill to a quitter, that nicotine product solves pretty much all the problems he has, but it is far from the truth.
Often nicotine products does not help, as you may use them only like a side help, but not your main strategy of quitting. That is why I suggest relying purely on yourself and natural ways how to quit smoking. This is a hard way, but it leads to success.
Design your “instead of smoking activities” personally. Some of them are good in the office while others are best suited at a comfort of your own home. Don’t be disappointed if substitute activities does not prevent you from smoking totally. This is fine. An hour without a smoke or cigarette reduction by half a day are huge achievements. If you did it with a help of smoking substitutes, you may be proud of yourself.
Here are my 22 favorite natural ways how to quit smoking activities below. Treat it as a game. Make a list of your favorites, and you are set to try.
1. Have a fruit. Healthy snack will motivate you not to jump off the right track. You will less likely poison yourself after you did something good to your body. Don’t abuse snacking, fruits have lots of sugar. You may change to vegetables on the other hand and eat them limitless, as long as it is salary.
2. Have a guilty snack. Fruit or vegetables does not work? Have a doughnut then. If things got rough with a nicotine craving, it is better to have an unhealthy snack then a ciggie. The most important is not to feel guilty about it. Remember, you loosen up a bit only on the period of reducing and quitting smoking.
3. Drink some water. Stay hydrated, stay healthy. Water decreases fatigue you want to avoid as in a situation of stress and fatigue thoughts about a cigarette starts to go wild. Drinking water also may replace a habit to smoke constantly. Have couple sips of water every 15 mins. It will be micro brake as if you went for a smoke. Buy a nice water bottle. A new accessory you carry everywhere instead of that fancy lighter. Besides, 20 bucks investment on a water bottle will pay off in no time, as bottled water is ridiculously expensive in some places.
4. Buy a magazine. You can’t do that everytime you want to smoke. Too many of clutter and way too expensive. But once in a while you may use this tool out of your toolbox. Buy a magazine of your interest, while turning over the pages you feel the texture of new crisp pages, smell of print paint. Do it in a calm warm and sunny place to strengthen an effect of relaxation. It’s like a therapy.
5. Have that insanely overpriced green cocktail from local juicery. Or make your own. Have that overpriced treat and feel you are doing something good to your body instead of a morning cigarette. You will have chances to poison yourself during the day if you are reducing, but the very start of a morning is for fueling your body up with a pure health and energy.
6. Make your own green cocktail. You may go creative with recipes, besides, you’ll end up saving money on a long run even after you buy a new powerful blender for your new morning routine.
7. Make short breathing exercise. The simple things are the most valuable in this world. Breathing is natural part of our lives from the first minute we arrive. Breathing in special manner has physical and physical health benefits. I recommend doing a breathing routine at least couple times a day to calm down or to feel more energetic. You can go one step further. Before lighting up every cigarette, do a 10 iteration breathing routine. There’s a big chance you change your mind regarding a smoke at that moment. No? You ventilated your lungs at least and did something good for your body. Have that smoke with less guilt then.
8. Read an article you are interested in. Have some leisure time that also distracts you from smoking. It might be an impulse nicotine craving and 5 minutes of reading might be enough to skip that one smoke. Make a plan of articles you want to read. Open them in separate browser windows on your phone or laptop, be prepared to make this move before lighting up.
9. Watch video for 7 minutes. Not in to reading? Watch some YouTube then. Make a wishlist of YouTube movies that you have or want to watch but they are not recreational. Educational videos that relates to your profession or your field of interest will do. Put some effort before smoking. The Worst case scenario you’ll smoke with more knowledge gained from the material you procrastinated to watch. There’s no losers here.
10. Make a phone call or write a message to your close one. We forget our close ones so often. We gain so much when we socialize with them. Give yourself a promise you will call to a person you care before each smoke. You do not have to talk about quitting your addiction, not at all. Just share good emotions with each other for 10 minutes. This is enough and this is powerfool. I write about this technique more detailed in my article “3 step quitting program you have never heard about before”.
11. Do a crossword or a word search puzzle. Distract yourself with easy yet rewarding intellectual activity. Every word you fill in the crossword or find in that word search cheers your brain up a bit. Have some puzzle books and a pencil on hand.
12. Start a reward savings. Create a fund for your dream purchase: New phone, holidays. Shopping night out budget rule is a great idea. You may spend only the amount you saved in your non-smoking bank. Put some money aside every time you want to smoke and tell yourself, that this is a price you pay for not smoking this noon, or this hour. After time passes, reevaluate your craving. Can you put another dollar to your savings, or this time a smoke is more valuable for you?
13. Do some exercises. Make two rounds 10 push-ups each, or 30 sit ups, 40 star jumps. Mix it up every time. Choose your favorite exercises or routines and do them until you get a bit sweaty at least. Dopamine you get from the physical activity very likely reduce nicotine cravings.
14. Go for a half an hour walk. At the moments you feel stressed and worn out in the office after a long meeting or a hard task, and you have a thought about the cigarette, give yourself an alternative. Go out of the building and have a 15 to 30 minute walk, depending on how much time you may afford for the activity. Give yourself a word you will not smoke during the walk.
Make a double hit. While absorbing plenty of oxygen and moving your body, feed your brain with a subliminal stop smoking audio. All you hear is a calming sound of ocean or rainforest, but you also will get a subliminal message for quit smoking directly to your brain. Hard to believe it works, but worth trying for the price of two cigarette packs.
15. Chew some gum. I don’t mean a nicotine one. Have an ordinary mint gum, stand up if you are sitting. Start chew slowly, thinking about every bite you execute. Pay attention to flavor, to your senses and your feelings in general. Strong almost burning mint at the start, and pleasant mild feel in your mouth at the bite No. 20. Chew it like you meditate.
16. Play a video game or a game on your phone for 10 minutes. This is a powerful one, as gaming distracts you from smoking. The challenge is to play 10 minutes only? This tool may become another addiction that eats up massive amounts of time. We do not want that. If you manage to use this tool properly, it will not only distract you from smoking, but also develop a discipline in your character.
17. Give someone an unexpected gift. It is more pleasurable to give than to receive. Have some small packs of gummy bears or chocolates on you. When you feel you would like to have a smoke, ask yourself, what would you rather do, have a cigarette or give a treat to your colleague. Make a rule, that if you gave a gift, you can not smoke for an hour. The Worst case scenario you’ll be most popular person in the office and clean of nicotine for an hour, but most probably for a longer period of time.
18. Buy a lottery ticket. This one is in a grey zone. I do not endorse gambling whatsoever, but if you are in to such kind of entertainment, try it. Create yourself a ritual, to go to a local store to buy a scratch off ticket. Don’t scratch it until you come back home or to the office. Give yourself some time to experience that moment. If you win a small winning, it is a good reason to go to a local store again, then another wave of nicotine craving occurs.
19. Explore a foreign city in google maps. Never tried that? It’s like virtual traveling. Have a tour on streets of Paris, or wonder in Mexico city for 10 minutes. It’ll distract you from cravings, take you to your dream place and probably inspire you. You can plan your next vacation tour from start to finish instead of having cigarette breaks.
20. Color. Unexpected one, agree. Coloring is a process that has a calming effect. It’s not for children only. Check adult coloring pages https://www.justcolor.net/ . They are totally free, you need a printer and some color pencils. The advanced level is drawing in a sketchbook, but if you are like me, and drawing cause stress instead of relaxation, coloring is just right. Try this as a therapy, you may unexpectedly like it.
21. Listen to a favorite and inspiring music. Have a playlist, listen it loud, on your headphones or earbuds preferably. Favorite music distracts from smoking perfectly, you’ll fuel up with energy besides. Positive emotions will fill you up, and after a song or two you’ll come back to this world a renewed person without any thoughts about cigarettes.
22. Do a meditation session. It has a relaxing effect first of all. More than that, during your meditation session, you may affect your subliminal in a positive way. It surely has long termed positive effect. If you are like me, and sitting calmly for 20 minutes is not your thing, you need some help. Try out a meditation audio, that is aimed for stop smoking. It is way easier to dive in to the deepest corners of your brain to make a fix, together with an audio coach.
I suggest you to try out all the mentioned natural ways how to quit smoking at least once. The thing is you do not know what will work for you best. It may appear pointless to buy a magazine because you did not do it for years, but there is a chance that this method at the certain point is most effective. It may be vice versa also, so try before you judge.
Let me know which substitutes for smoking you liked most from my list. Maybe you have tried any of those in the past. How was it? Be creative and think of your personal preventive ways. Can’t wait to hear from you in the comments below.